Now that the weather has been cooler, I’ve been keeping an eye out for new slow cooker recipes. Today we finally tried one that I’ve been eyeing for a while, it was amazing! I found it at www.bettycrocker.com.
This recipe is perfect because it’s cheap, healthy and oh so easy! Note: the original recipe called for chicken thighs, but I prefer chicken breasts. I am also a HUGE sour cream fan, so I added light sour cream to the soup when serving.
Chicken Tortilla Soup (Slow Cooker Style)
– 5-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
– 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
– 3 (6″) corn tortillas, cut into 1″ pieces
– 1-1/2 cups frozen kernel corn
– 1 can (15 oz) chick peas, drained, rinsed
– 1 can (4.5 oz) chopped green chiles
– 3/4 cup salsa verde
– 2 cans (14 oz each) chicken broth
– 1 tsp. dried oregano leaves
– 1 tsp. ground cumin
– 1/2 tsp. ground red pepper (cayenne)
– 2 tomatoes, seeded, chopped
– chopped fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
Mix all ingredients in 3-4 qt. slow cooker (minus tomatoes and cilantro). Cover; cook on low heat for 4-5 hours or until chicken is cooked through.
Remove chicken to shred and then add back into soup. Add tomatoes before serving and garnish with cilantro. Enjoy!